Sunday, October 2, 2011

Our Gallery Wall

This weekend Little M and I spent a gloomy Saturday inside. The rain held off most of the time, unless we headed out for a walk, in which case it started coming down on us. So we hung out inside and I finally tackled the gallery wall that I have been dreaming about for months! I got my initial inspiration and settled on a final pattern through Pinterest, and I absolutely love how it turned out!

It took the better part of the day, but that was with an almost two year old helping... needless to say I could have busted it out much quicker without my little 'helper' moving frames and pictures around for me!



I started by making 2 parallel lines from string on the wall, and planned out where my frames would go below and above the horizontal gap running the length of the gallery wall. Then I started filling in the frames, going left to right. The first ones were a bit trickier because of the light switch, and I had to really pick and choose. That meant that I had to go back through my arrangement on the floor and redo the order.

We got a lot of the frames up, but then we had to take a break for Little M's afternoon nap. Once she was back awake and had eaten her afternoon snack, we started up again and got all of the frames up on the wall around supper time. I did some switching of pictures during the evening, and everything was all done before her bedtime. I really love how it all turned out! We still have a bunch of pictures to get printed or enlarged, so ignore some of the placeholders :)


The best thing about the project was definitely the cost - apart from a few new frames I bought with some birthday money last month at Ikea, these were all frames we had around the house, either from old photo arrangements, or from some ones my mother in law picked up at garage sales this summer after I mentioned we were collecting frames for a gallery wall. Perfect! :)

3 comments:

  1. Love the way it looks! You and Little M make a good team!
    I need to get to painting my gallery frames. I think I'm gonna do 'em all in espresso brown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sharp! You can come and fix mine the next time you're back in Lanark! I might just steal your layout, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daisy - Thanks! I painted a few black, but if I do more I'll likely go the spray paint route... it took FOREVER to get the black to look nice... Likely I'll just end up leaving them all kinda mismatched like they are now :)
    Mary - Thanks - if you can wait til next summer :) it took me awhile to decide on the middle line layout but I decided that for me it was the perfect mix of random & artsy yet organized :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...