Monday, July 9, 2012

Our First Garlic Scape Pesto

Last week I had several days off with Little M, so we got lots of quality time together, and I got to catch up on things around the house. Didn't get all that much done in terms of hours towards my monthly paycheck, but life is about trade-offs, right? :)

One of the things we did, that had been on my radar as a to-do item for about a week, was harvest the garlic scapes. They had been ready for likely a bit longer than a week, and I wanted to make sure I harvested them before they started to flower. Luckily we had picked up some pine nuts while out doing our large monthly shopping trip a couple days prior, so we were ready to make some garlic scape pesto!

We used a rough recipe from here and here, and didn't really measure, just approximated volumes until it seemed about the right flavor, and blended until it was about the right consistency. It was my first time making any kind of pesto from scratch, and my first time even tasting garlic scape pesto, so I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to make, and how spice-y-tasty it was to eat!

As you can see, we didn't end up with that much, but I found that a little bit goes a long ways, so most of this was frozen in one of my weck jars (love those things!) as I'm imagining mixing it in to home-made spaghetti sauce later this summer. I think this fall we'll need to plant more garlic to get more garlic scapes next summer!

Linked up to the Homestead Barn Hop!

3 comments:

  1. oh my goodness, check out my blog! i just wrote about our first garlic scape pesto experience as well! It's pretty intense and totally wonderful, isn't it! Glad you had some time off with your girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is the link to the taproot website. they have a link that you can download those canning jar labels and just print them out yourself! I did that, becuase the mag only came with one page. I just printed them out on white cardstock. http://www.taprootmag.com/pages/canning-jar-lid-labels-by-jenny-lee-fowler

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and Little M are making great memories...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...