Monday, March 28, 2011

Burning weeds

We have a lot of weeds on our property, some are considered 'noxious', some are just plain old weeds. In the past week we have been raking and burning these weeds as the snow melts and leaves them bare. This evening my husband did a whole area that I completely gave up on mowing last year.
The human-propelled push mower that was great on our old urban postage stamp lot made it hard for us to keep up with the grass (weeds) at our new place. The first summer when we moved in, the weeds had already gotten the best of us - they were easily knee high, and already starting to die and dry out (and harden up!). After doing a lot, and I mean A LOT, of raking and burning last spring, we kept a pretty good handle on a large part of the 'lawn' around the house, but there were still fields that didn't get touched. The upper and lower side pasture, the middle field where my garden is, and the lower field where my husband kept his game garden. Not to mention the really bad area behind the garage...

This spring at some point we will try to get the ride on mower running, a friend of my husbands gave it to us last summer. It is likely older than I am, and although we can jump it and get it running, the power to the mower isn't working, so we need to get that fixed so we can keep ahead of the weeds this summer.

I'll be linking this post up to the Homestead Barn Hop! Hop on over there and check out all the goings on at homesteads all over the country :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...