Wednesday, January 25, 2012

...living in a winter wonderland...

Wednesday last week during the day light hours we got 8 inches of fresh, new, fluffy snow. It was wonderful. My very being had been craving white flakes dumping down all over everything, making the world look brand new and sparkly. It was cold out, so the snow wasn't at all packy, and it just fluffed around when you walked through it.


I'm glad I went for a long walk with the dogs last Monday, before all the snow fell. Steep slopes and a bit of hard packed snow is one thing, but steep slopes and snowshoes and deep fluffy snow is quite another! However, when I got home from work on Friday, as more snow began to fall, my husband convinced me to go on a hike with him and Little M. I ended up with her on my back, and although we took a slightly different route up to that final lookout point, we still went just as far. I was pretty impressed with us, it was a workout! It was gorgeous hiking around with the snow underfoot and the flakes falling thickly from the sky, although when snow cascaded off the heavily laden tree branches onto our heads, Little M was never very impressed!

The total snowfall Friday night was about 4-5 inches (as measured on our back deck), and then on Sunday we got another 4-5 inches. Made getting out of the driveway a bit of a challenge Monday morning, since my husband (the snow blow operator in the house) worked 3 12's Saturday-Monday, so he hadn't done any snow removal since right before the fresh 8-10 inches had fallen over the weekend.

Looking out the windows towards the conifer-covered hillside south of our house, made me realize something. There are times in the fall when my heart aches for the showy reds, yellows, and oranges of fall in the mixed forests of the Canadian Shield where I grew up. This past weekend I realized that in an equally powerful way, the winter scenes in these conifer forests have grabbed hold of my heart. Snow weighing down the dark green limbs, bright green moss hanging off the branches, big flakes pelting down, and that uplifting feeling I get when it snows. Ahhh Winter.


Last night we got another 3-4 inches, so the trend has been snow every other day... Sounds good to me!  Hope you enjoy these snowy pictures as much as I do!

3 comments:

  1. Everything looks so pretty covered in snow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Lyndsey! I don't know what I would do without snow in the winter :)
    katy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely pics - and what a view. You wouldn't want the eastern ontario winter this year .. freezing rain seems the norm.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...