Sunday, February 20, 2011

Amaryllis in bloom

My amaryllis is in bloom! It is a very pretty flower, and the past 2 years that I have had it it has produced one flower stalk with 2 blooms on it. Last year I tried to pollinate it and get seeds from it, but with Little M being, well, very little, I missed watering it briefly and it got too dry before the seeds matured. Hopefully this year I will have better luck.

My mother has grown and crossed amaryllis for years and years, and has lots of very pretty flowers from all of her crossings. My mom always has amaryllis plants all over the windowsills at her house, and just tosses the ones she doesn't love. I think it would be great to sell some bulbs at the local farmers market in the fall and earn a bit of money (and get rid of some extra bulbs!).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...